Kristina,

I'd recommend reformatting the drive, and installing again from scratch. OS X installations are fairly tricky to remove properly. If the machine has been running mainly in OS X, there's not much you can keep that will be any good to you in OS 9 -- most of the nice OS X fonts aren't compatible with older versions of the OS.

The best way to reset it? Zap the PRAM (hold down Cmd-Opt-P-R right after you press the power button, and keep them down until you've heard 3 startup chimes), boot off the CD (hold down the C key after you press the power button), reformat the drive using Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder on the system CD) -- you could even do a low-level format, but that's probably unnecessary -- and then install the system and applications you want. Make sure you format the drive as Mac OS Extended (HFS+), otherwise you'll waste lots of space.

Cheers,
Ben