The National Enquirer reports at 5:20 PM +0100 12/17/04, Mikael
Byström wrote:

>Bob said:

<snip>

> >Do you have the right settings selected regarding the card and the
> >port in OS X?
>Settings? The card isn't detected, so I see no possibility to change any
>settings. Did you mean from somewhere else?

How do you know the card isn't being detected? The card won't show up
on the desktop, and Apple's Airport software won't detect the Gold
Card. Have you checked the System Profiler in OS X to see if the Gold
Card shows up there (it won't be identified as an Orinoco card, or
perhaps not even as a WiFi card, I don't remember for sure, but it
should show up in the proper "en" slot -- see below).

I'll ask you the same question that I asked Andrew earlier in this
thread -- exactly what kind of network connection are trying to make?
Is it through a 3rd-party WAP or an Apple ABS? Is it an open network,
or a closed network? Is it encrypted? Lots of questions.

I'm not in OS X now and it's been quite a while since I set my Gold
card up in X. But here are a few things I recall.
* You need to go to System Preferences > Network > Network Port
Configurations, and select the WiFi card there. If it does not show
up, try quitting and relaunching System Preferences.

* Do you just have one PCMCIA slot on the TiBook? It should be
designated as en1 or en2 I believe, and that has to be correctly
selected when you set up your TCP/IP settings for the Gold Card.

* If you have an internal Apple Airport card in your TiBook, you
*may* have to remove it for the Orinoco card to be recognized.

I'm not sure I have helped you much, Mikael. I'm having a hard time
getting the grey matter between the ears to work tonight. If I
haven't hit the nail on the head, hopefully I have said something
that will push you in the right direction.

Good Luck,

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.