Dyna,
You might consider to upgrade your Pismo to G4. This may or may not solve the problem, but if it does, will give you a much better computer. I did this recently through Daystar, and after a few problems, (backside cache not recognized - new daughtercard sent under warranty) I have a much faster computer. (Plus a new 7200 rpm drive which helps)
Talk to them about your problem - see if the upgrade might solve it. As it looks like you are going to be up for some expense anyway, the upgrade might be a useful 'life extender'

There are other companies doing this upgrade, but Daystar seems to have more good things being said about it.

        Good luck.