Hi everyone,

   My partner's trusty Pismo 400 malfunctioned this evening. There was a
kernel panic, and it wouldn't boot, and then when it gave the 3 beeps on
startup and nothing else, I looked that up and read that it meant no
RAM that was recognized was present.

   This Pismo has 2 256 Mb RAM chips that have been working in it without
any problem for about 2 years until today. After a whole lot of disassembly
and reassembly I have established that:

either RAM chip works in the top slot;

both RAM chips have passed the test on the Apple hardware test CD when
installed in the top slot;

either RAM chip in the bottom slot causes the Pismo not to boot (even to the
test CD), whether or not there is a chip in the top slot.

So: what would cause this, and what is the best thing to do about it?
Currently we are running the Pismo with one of the RAM chips in the top
slot.

TIA,

Beverly
--