Peter -

    Thanks for responding.

    You said...

> I've been using Chicken with great success on Pismo --> Cube. I also use
> TightVNC on PC --> Cube.

    ...and

> My setup:
> Using the cube with no monitor, keyboard or mouse as a MP3 server for my
> home. I use either the laptop or my desktop to connect and control music,
> updates, etc. This is all within my home network, and the speed is rather
> surprising. I have tested from outside my network, using my cable modem's IP
> address and making sure that my router redirects port 5900 to the cube. This
> works great as well, albeit much slower. I used the built-in desktop sharing
> in 10.3.6. known as 'Apple Remote Desktop' in the 'Sharing' control panel on
> my Cube - no software needed on that end - thx Apple.

    May I conclude from the above that if I have mom...

1.  Check the box for Apple Remote Desktop in Preferences > Sharing, and

2.  Check the box for <On> in the resulting window and also check all the
other boxes that appear in that window, then click <OK>...

    ...that her Mac is now "armed and ready", so to speak, in the same
fashion  it would be had she turned on Share My Desktop?

    If that's the case then, in other words, Apple Remote Desktop is a
replacement for Share My Desktop, no?

    Do I then run Chicken, fill in her IP address and connect?

    What about Password?  Is any needed?

    Thanks **so** much for this info.  In all my searching around for a
solution, no one ever mentioned the on-board Apple Remote Desktop as an
option.

    I was aware of the Apple software of that same name, which is very
expensive, like Timbuktu, and I was trying to avoid that major expense.

    Thanks, again
    bob