I think I initially had two problems.
1. the HD was so hopelessly fragmented that it was seriously bogging, stalling & freezing.
2. the battery is essentially dead and the power adapter plug dirty.
I may not have been getting a good connections so eventually I was losing
power and would have to wait. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm now getting consistent boots from disk and was able to
initialize the HD from Disk Set Up.

Start up, however, is slow and noisy.
I'm thinking maybe the CD drive is cranky.
I see DVD drives on E-bay. Presumably they run CDs too. but are they
worth the premium? or is DVD standard Wallstreet.

So, I boot from a 9.2 install disk but cannot install because
I get a dialogue telling me  "Instaler cannot be found"
or "Disk Error" depending on which icon I click.
Hmmm. Guess I'll have to try my 9.1 installer.

I did zap the PRAM as suggested but was unable to rest NVRAM
as directed since the PB goes directly to disk with nothing on the HD.
Maybe that shouldn't matter but Cmd-Opt-O-F didn't seem to do
anything (did I hold it long enough?)
I didn't know where or was never prompted to type "reset-nvram" and "reset-all"

Any experience with PowerBook Medic.com Service Manuals.
Reasonable at $9.95

Thanks for all the help.
Cliff