On Dec 22, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Brian Rule wrote:

I currently have a limited wireless network- my Slot loading iMac is networked to an Airport Extreme Base Station via an ethernet cable and my iBook connects via airport extreme. In the coming days I'd like to add my desktop PC to the list by giving it a wireless card.
What I'm wondering is, will the firewall on the base station still work with the PC added?

Yes; you're not changing anything on the Base Station.

Will there be any incompatabilities adding this PC to the system?

No, not at all.

The base station does not know, nor does it care what OS the client computer is running.

It is like Ethernet. It just doesn't matter if the computer is running Windows, Mac OS or AmigaDOS for that matter, so long as the ethernet port responds like an ethernet port is supposed to. That's all the base station 'sees'. You won't be able to administer it from the PC, but you don't have to.

The only trouble you might have is if you've restricted the Base station to only certain hardware addresses, you will have to add the new card to the list, but beyond that it's a little like asking if you need new electrical wiring to plug in a PC versus a Mac.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona