Ensure your RAM is working correctly -- try removing each of the DIMMs in turn, and installing. OS X is much more picky about its RAM than OS 9.

Apart from that, try resetting PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R at startup, hold until you hear 3 startup chimes), resetting the PMU (instructions will be in the manual, not familiar with the Lombard procedure), or doing a low-level format on the hard drive and testing it for bad sectors.

Cheers,
Ben