Every time I visit my mother I have a hell of
a time connecting to my ISP from her house (which
was built in 1991)...while her 1997-era Compaq laptop
has no problem (connecting to AOL). It takes about 10
tries to get a connection. Otherwise it fails at "Starting
PPP") using OS 9.1 and Remote Access.

        I have no problems anywhere else, even at
my brother's in the same town, dialling into the
same access numbers.

        Is there a known problem with the Wall Street modems?
I did the firmware upgrade that became available in late
1998. I've tried other modem scripts but since I have no
connection problems elsewhere, I figure it's either the
modem or the large number of phones at Mom's (I've
unplugged several of them, but that doesn't help and,
anyway, why doesn't SHE have problems with her older
laptop?)