On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:10 PM, Andrew F. wrote:

Perhaps because OpenOffice is not the "Clear Alternative" as you state it
is.

and perhaps part of the reason is that it would hurt Office:Mac, which would hurt Mac users if Microsoft decided to drop it.

I prefer WordPerfect, and probably always will, but I'm getting used to Word for Mac and may actually like it someday.

OpenOffice, to me, has all the problems of Word and none of the advantages, except for being free.

As others have said, compatibility is important, and Word does it better.

That said, OOo has been known to work better with MS than MS when dealing with different versions:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/04/06/interoperability

I hope OOo will one day be a better option, but for now, Word is the best choice for me, regardless of who makes it.

TjL