That's a good point! An 802.11b wireless access point, or bridge (depending on how you're using it) is just the same as a 10MB network port. So if you have multiple devices accessing this "port" it will be significantly slower. I guess unlike most people my wireless network consists solely of the iBook (all the other devices are in the same room, so they are directly connected to the switch), so any kind of network transfers are just as fast as being plugged into a network port. So if you'll have multiple devices, it probably would be best to go with 802.11g.

    /Hi Diane,

    Wireless is just as good as wired these days.
    /

Unless you're trying to transfer large files within a home network. We moved our ReplayTV unit to another room where there was no ethernet jack & went to an 802.11b bridge (hoping to upgrade to g later, but bridges are hard to find cheap), and the time needed to transfer files to our computers is dramatically longer. It's way worse if both are working wirelessly; I plug my powerbook in if I'm downloading a show.

But for internet access it's fine.

Anne