The National Enquirer reports at 11:16 PM -0800 1/1/05, Ken wrote:

>My Reply follows quote. On 01/01/2005 18:54 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>said:
>
> >>Just checked the User Manual.
> >>
> >>No mention of turning off for Printers.
> >>Shut down of sleep for modems.
> >>WARNING When connecting SCSI equipment, always turn off power to
> >>all devices in the chain, including your computer. If you don't, you
> >>could lose information and damage your equipment.
> >>IMPORTANT You must shut down the computer or put it in sleep before
> >>connecting an ADB device.
> >
> >I don't know which manual you checked, but the ADB devices on a
> >Wallstreet are also hot-swappable. As I recall, it was the 1st
> >PowerBook to be so (and maybe the only one, I'm  not positive about
> >that).
> >
> >Because of the power (5v) on the SCSI line, it has always been "shut
> >down before adding or removing devices" even though some people have
> >gotten by hot-swapping SCSI devices for years.
> >
> >The bottom line is "no, you don't have to shut down (or even put to
> >sleep) your Wallstreet when adding or removing ADB mice or keyboards
> >or expansion-bay modules." HOWEVER, if the ADB devices have 3rd-party
> >drivers, they may not be enabled without rebooting (i.e Kensington
> >multi-button mice).
> >

> >Bob
>------------
>Maybe so, but my quotes were "clipped" directly from the user's
>manual. Smoke at your own risk!

Darn it, Ken, you made me go look for supporting references. :-)

I didn't have much time, so I didn't come up with the definitive
reference(s) that I wanted. But I have a dozen or more email messages
(from people that I have known over the years and respect their Mac
knowledge) indicating one of the advantages of the Wallstreet (I &
II) is the ability to hot-swap ADB devices. It *is* the one and only
PB with that capability.

As far as the manual is concerned, page 73 of the PowerBook G3 Series
"Macintosh PowerBook User's Manual" states:

"NOTE: You may experience a slight delay if you connect a mouse or
other ADB devices while the computer is turned on."

It wouldn't say any such thing -- especially without a warning -- if
the ADB port was not hot-swappable.

Please provide the page # for your reference. I still have a
gut-feeling that you're quoting from a different manual than the one
for the Wallstreet.

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.