On Jan 2, 2005, at 8:13 AM, Aase Marit Waage wrote:

Hi all,

I am new on this list... Just what I needed right now...  :)

I have had different Power Books since my very first one back in 1992. Right now I have a Pismo, one of the few ones with a bronze keyboard and FireWire, it is a 400Mhz G3, running sys 9.2. It is getting on my nerves now though, because it is too slow, I don't have enough memory, have to re-boot often etc. I see that it is time to get a new one. I can't afford buying a brand new one though...

I live in Norway, but have found some used iBooks and PB's in Denmark, which is not that far, quite cheaply I can either travel there by ferry to meet a seller or have a person I know get one for me. I have found some options, some iBooks and some PB's. I am a bit in doubt though, of which one to choose, and I don't have much time, or some offers will be gone real soon, maybe even later today... I can't figure out what is really the difference between a PB and and iBook, maybe it doesn't matter for me which one I choose.

One I can get, at a price that seems real OK (at least compared to the prices here in Norway) is a 12" iBook. The add says: G4, 1Ghz, new April 04, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, Airport Extreme, OSX 10.3.6 (incl. Garageband and naturally all the others --> doesn't mean a thing to me), DVD/CD-RW. AV-cable for use with projector, TV or similar.

My use is primarily home use. I have a disability, so a laptop I can use in my recliner is my best bet. I use it a lot for writing, do a little bit of web design (just on a hobby basis), lots of web surfing, e-mail etc. I just want something that brings me up to OS X, that won't make me re-boot all the time, that has enough memory for my use, that is quick enough, and preferably with a CD-burner so I can download and burn music CD's too.

I would really appreciate any real quick input on this. Do you think this one is a good choice for my use? What is really the difference between iBooks and PB's, does it really matter which one for my use?

One more thing. This one has a Danish keyboard, which might be slightly different from the Norwegian one. It has the exact same characters, but a couple of them is placed differently. Can you change such things? By defining the keyboard differently and maybe switching around the key's?

The price for this one is around $1,100 or something like that, but I have seen prices for the same here in Norway that are a lot higher, so it should be a good deal for me. Also with this one it would be lighter for me, so it would be more easy to take with me when I travel, something I don't do with the one I have now, it is too big and heavy. The bad news is the smaller screen, but...

Thank you so much, I appreciate it a lot!!!

-Aase :)

It sounds like the iBook you mentioned will fit your needs.

Some of the differences between iBooks and Powerbooks are:

- powerbooks generally have higher screen resolution. (excluding the 12")
- powerbooks have a PC card slot. (excluding the 12")
- powerbooks have a higher ram capacity, faster video cards, bigger caches, more and faster inputs and outputs, larger stock hard drives, built in screen spanning, etc.

I have no clue as to wether you can or how you would go about changing the keyboard.

700MHz iBook G3
640MB Ram
OS 10.3.7

"Laugha while you can monkeyboy."