On Jan 4, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Marcin Wichary wrote:

This is/was of course not aimed at you personally... although I can't help but wonder if the keys had just one designation each, would the likelihood of you making the same mistake be the same?

because one refers to the Mac keyboard, and the other to what this key is called on other systems.

I also believe that the "alt" designation is inconsistent... It's above the railway symbol, suggesting that it requires shifting to activate. Why couldn't the two symbols be put next to each other, like on the command key?

Likely because the key is smaller physically than the command key, and it would come out 'optionalt'. At least it is on my old Sawtooth-era keyboard. (it also says Option and Alt...no 'railway' symbol. That symbol is also not on current G5 keyboards, either, which really sucks, since that make the menu designation completely unintelligible.)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona