It just got Worse!

Three times since this drive encounter my whole machine have frozen 4+
times. It just freeze and there is nothing you can do except the three
finger salute. There is no log of anything in the OS, indicating hardware
failure. I did a Open Firmware set defaults, reset nvram & reset all.
This didn't improve anything.

Then I popped up the keyboard and discovered that the connection cable
from the PCMCIA slot had been disconnected from the motherboard. I
reinserted it hoping this would solve matters.

I think it froze four times since, one of them booting into single mode
and stopped just after the first 20 lines.

All of this because I pop in a firewire drive during sleep? Or did it
just cause already broken things to surface? The new thing with the drive
was that it was the first firewire unit I have used that needed bus
power. Maybe this put some toll on the motherboard or something?

Hmm, one thing I seem to notice is that my fan isn't running as far as I
can tell. Maybe it stopped? How do one force start the fan? Will the
Apple hardware test CD, that came with the machine, test the fan? If it
doesn't, then maybe this is a heat problem? Any ideas on how to verify
the fan operation or other ideas to solve this problem?

I tried Temperature Monitor, but unfortunately only the HD SMART
controller is supported on my Powerbook G4 400 and I noticed that when
crashes occur the temp is 43° C/109.2°F after rebooting. The first
troublefree time it's at 39°C to 42°C.