Hey all:

I'm planning to get a wireless broadband router of some sort in the near future and have been looking into various options. I had pretty much ruled out the AirPort Extreme base station due to compatibility concerns--I still work primarily in OS 9 on my Pismo and would not be able to administer the base station with OS 9's AirPort 2.0.4 software.

However, it just occurred to me that I do also run OS X and keep it up to date, which means the AirPort software in my OS X partition is compatible. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's all I need to administer the AirPort Extreme base station, right? Doesn't matter that my Pismo has only an AirPort card, and not the AirPort Extreme, right?

My related concern was that, even though I could administer the saucer only when booted into OS X, once I have it set up it won't matter if I reboot into OS 9--I would still be able to use the base station as my wireless hub. Once the settings are in place, it doesn't matter if I'm in OS 9 or OS X on the computer that set up the base station; it only matters when I need to perform some administrative tasks, right? All I do is set up the base station to allow connections to people offering the right password and it runs on autopilot (more or less) after that, right?

The answers to all these questions seem pretty obvious to me, which is why I think I really ought to double check anyway :-) So, here I am, double checking. I have an 802.11g adapter for my other computer (a ThinkPad) and at some point in the future will probably add an OS X-only iBook or TiBook to my collection, so the Extreme base station (or a 3rd party 802.11g router) seems like the best way to go for the longer term.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Carl