Q  U  O  T  E  D

"Then did St. Steve raise on high the Holy G5 of Cupertino, saying, 'Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine Dell enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the renderings of lambs and toads and tree sloths and fruit bats and orangutans and lickable icons. ... Now did the Lord say, 'Thou in 12 months, thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the GHz and the number of the GHz shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two-point-five, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the GHz, be reached, then thine will be great and powerful in my sight, however if thou shall have more than one button on thou mouse, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff thine's life.'"

-- Justin Evers, in his "Reading from the Book of Apple, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20," attempts to explain why Apple's G5 chips haven't yet hit 3 GHz.

Mac legions await release of Apple's new iDunno: With the Consumer Electronics Show in the rear-view mirror, the tech world's attention now turns to the Macworld trade show in San Francisco, where Apple will unveil its first new products of the year. If the rumors prove true, we'll see a $149 iPod, a suite of productivity software called iWork '05, and iLife '05. But will Apple uncrate the much discussed $500 Mac? Doesn't seem likely. Such a machine would be remarkably out of character for a company so focused on high-margin markets. More likely, we'll see CEO Steve Jobs trot out some sort of media server. At least that's what analyst Rob Enderle is looking for. "Apple has a premium brand; Steve Jobs has likened it to Porsche," Enderle writes. "Just as Porsche experimented and learned that the 914, a very low cost branded product, was not a good idea (a mistake also made by Lincoln with the Versailles and Cadillac with the Cimarron), Apple should not have a $500 general purpose box under the same brand as their premium lines. The perception of quality and exclusivity would be damaged and the net impact on revenues and margins would, if past patterns hold, accelerate their already negative path. However a low cost media server that would host iPods, have a simplified user interface, and expand Apple into the new digital home could be vastly more powerful. Consensus that these media servers should, for the broad market, have a starting price of $500 has been growing for some time and Apple is expert at the kind of appliance-like interface such a product would require. This product would be very similar in both targeted audience and experience to their vastly successful iPod and while it wouldn't bring people to the full Apple experience, it would bring them closer to Apple and help mitigate the growing dependency Apple has on Windows through the iPod."