At 8:22 PM -0500 1/10/05, Al Poulin wrote:
Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I just looked inside my copy (18Mb). Big surprise as to why it's so large, it has the full language support installed. This is a new machine with the original Apple OS install plus one update. Each language resource folder is 1.3 Mb or so.

I started using OS X about three months ago, still a raw newbie here. I did the Easy Install of OS X 10.3 off a retail CD, upgraded to 10.3.7. Mail is v1.3.9 and, like Clark Martin reported initially, the Size info is 24 MB on disk (18,020,887 bytes).

Three questions: Why the 6 MB difference in the info? How/where do you find the language resource folders? Any harm in letting the non-English folders sit there?

The 6Mb difference is do to lots and lots of files (4000+), many are small. If a file takes up 3000 bytes it is allocated 4096 bytes on disk. Multiply that by many files and you end up with a fair bit of unused disk space.

The Mail Application is really a "Package". Simply put a package is a folder with assorted sub folders and files. The system knows about packages and normally displays them as an Application. You can look inside by holding down the control key as you click on one. A contextual menu comes up, select Show Package Contents. It will open the Package folder and you can look around inside like any other folder. I caution you about changing anything inside however, it could royally mess up the program. If you are familiar with ResEdit, it is the OS X equivalent.

If you don't use the other languages all they do is take up space on your HD.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA