On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 08:39 PM, Jeff Hubatka wrote:

So back to the CD, started up, went to change password - and found only one user, that being root. So I changed that password, then started up as root. First thing I did was to create a new user with her same name as before, then log out of root.

Do not, repeat DO NOT act as though a OS X system is like 'any old Linux box'

Running as root is dangerous to start with, and under OS X introduces all sorts of problems; as you found out. This is why all the permissions were screwed up, and why it wouldn't boot

You do NOT need to enable the root user, ever; if you need a root shell, 'sudo -s' serves quite nicely.

Apple has designed OS X with the idea in mind that root is NOT ALLOWED to log in. Don't second-guess them in this.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson