on 12/01/05 19:33, sacredsystem at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thus spoke Laurent Daudelin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>1/12/05
>
>> If you have administrative options in that account, you should try to
>> set
>> the permissions of your home folder back to your user ID.
>>
>> In the Finder, from your 2nd account, go in /Users/<your initial user
>> ID>.
>> Then, select "Get Info" from the "File" menu in the Finder. Open the
>> "Ownership & Permissions" tab in the Info window. Usually, you
> shouldn't
>> have access to that folder, but since your permissions were screwed up,
>> don't know how they would be showing. In any case, click the "Details"
>> tab
>> to open it. You should now be able to see who is the owner. This is a
>> popup
>> menu and could be disabled. If it is disabled, there should be a little
>> padlock next to it. If you click on it, it will prompt you for your
>> administrator password. Basically, you enter the password of the 2nd
>> account
>> you just created. After validating your password, the "Owner" popup
>> should
>> be enabled. If you open it, you should be able to see your initial user
>> ID
>> and should select it. After that, make sure that the "Access" popup
> says
>> "Read & Write". Then, click the "Apply to enclosed items..." button at
>> the
>> bottom of the info window. A confirmation message will be displayed.
>> Click
>> OK. Then, if you haven't enabled "Fast user switching", I would suggest
>> you
>> do so because it will be easier and faster to check if the permission
>> change
>> had any effect on your other account. So, if Fast user switching is not
>> turned on, go in the "Accounts" preference pane and turn it on. Then,
>> you
>> should see a new menu on the right of the screen with your current user
>> name
>> displayed there. If you click on it, you should be able to login in
> your
>> original account without login out from your temporary account.
>>
>> Try to login and report back what is now happening.
> Hi,
>
>   I did what you said, but you mention "fast user switching" in accounts
> pane. Is this in system preferences? I don't see "fast user switching".
> Where exactly is it? If it matters, I'm using Jaguar 10.2.8.

Ooops! I did assume you were on Panther, no "fast user switching" in Jaguar.
Ok, so, did you try to log out from your new account and try to login into
your old account? Any change?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fortrash /for'trash/ n.: Hackerism for the FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslator)
language, referring to its primitive design, gross and irregular syntax,
limited control constructs, and slippery, exception-filled semantics.