> I have an iBook 800MHz 14" which came with an AirPort card.
>
> I bought the iBook as it was cheap and I was going to use it to
> create funds for a newer Mac, i.e. selling it on to someone who
> would pay just over the going rate as opposed to under the
> going rate which is where I bought it at...
>
> However, I find it quite nice compared to the 12" I had and
> I am considering keeping it, but I don't fancy paying for a
> genuine AirPort base station.
>
> Can I use ANY 802.11* base station ?
>
> The AirPort is 11Mb/s but I thought it would make sense to buy
> a faster base station in case I ever got a faster card in the future.
>

> Larry

Yes!!!

802.11b/g is 802.11b/g. The only advantage to an Airport basestation ove any
other is the setup via Airport software as opposed to using a browser. I've
used my Airport express with a US Robotics and a Linksys router with no
problems. Buy whatever strikes your fancy. Try your setup for a day or two
without turning on the WEP encryption to make sure everything works, then
enable the encryption to keep out prying eyes.

John

--
Television can insult your intelligence, but it takes a computer to rub it
in.