We have five computers connected through a Netgear wireless router to DSL. The wireless computers are my PowerBook and my son's PC laptop. The wired computers are my iMac and my sons' PC towers. Last summer when we made the switch to DSL, everyone said, "Get a Netgear router!" While the wired computers are always able to be online, the wireless connection sometimes doesn't work. The fix was to disconnect the router's power for a moment, then plug it back in, and the two wireless computers would have the signal restored. Since mid-December, the wireless part hasn't worked at all. Well, let me take that back: one day out of the clear blue it did work. Of course, now everyone is telling us, "Why did you get a Netgear? You should have gotten a Linksys!" Our ISP suggested looking for firmware updates on the router, which we did. Netgear's tech support explained a fix, which didn't help, then sent us to "critical care tech support" and they recommended the same fix as the first group. We are currently ping-ponging emails back and forth trying to determine the problem. I am really thinking of buying an Airport Extreme base (or that "pre-N" router with the three antennas) for the wireless computers, and leaving the wired computers on the existing system. However, I hate to have to buy another router when we already have one. (Planned obsolescence?)

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Claire