Thanks for the kind words -- I am hoping that some folks here might be
able to share their experiences to help build a case.  I know generally
Apple has very good support, but I do not believe that this scenario is
such an example.  To be completely honest, I am also quite shocked at the
$750 that they tried to stick me with, which shows to me that there's no
attempt to even help me out or reconcile the possibility of a defect --
makes me think that the AppleCare package was not worth while.  Had they
at least offered "discounted" repair, it would have at least made me feel
slightly "more taken care of."  In any case, I have found several cases of
the same problems occuring on the same unit on the Apple discussion
boards, with similar outcomes of Apple simply denying the repair as being
legit.  I encourage any one of you to chime in if you have had any related
experiences.

Simon