On a nearly new iBook; I needed to boot from CD to do a pw-force on the root account.

No joy... the CD would appear on the "hold option at powerup" menu but attempts to boot from it would get a ISO-type slashed circle. I tried both a 10.3 and a 10.2 CD #1.

I then tried an external Firewire CD drive with the CD's in it. No joy there either...

Plus, the &(^&* box would not relinquish the CD! I held shift and powered up. It worked with one but not the other. It took logging in and ejecting that way.

THEN on a 2nd newer iBook; the boot CD's would not appear on the hold-option screen -- either the internal or the Firewire.

ARGH! Did Murphy follow me home or????