-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Aase
Marit Waage
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 17:57
To: G-Books
Subject: Re: Painting AlBook ???

Anyway, maybe contacting Apple would be a better idea (Maybe they had a
dead iBook to pull one from)?. I not only didn`t get any help there, the
lady flat out gave me incorrect information. She told me that it was not
possible to change the keyboard, and no way would she listen to me. When
I asked her "What if a person`s keyboard breaks?", she told me that if
that was the case, the person would have to buy a new computer.

Aase :)

Changing the keyboard is a fairly easy process, you just have to be
careful.  Just look at the section for upgrading your memory in the
iBook manual (PDF version here:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/ibook/0221682i
BookG4UG.pdf)  It is under the Enhancing your computer section of the
manual, page 55.  After removing the metal "RAM Shield" you will see the
connector for the keyboard.  Look at the second and third pictures here
http://www.bluap.nl/mac/ibookdual.php?ibookid=3 for the ram shield and
keyboard connector.  You just have to slide up the top part of the
connector which will release the keyboard cable.  Then pull out the
keyboard connector, slide in the new one, and push down the top of the
connector to lock the cable in place.  Check here for more instructions
on removing a zif cable
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcyc/zif.htm

Then change you keyboard type under system preferences.  If you ever
need to send the laptop in for apple care just swap the old keyboard in
and you are good to go.