On Jan 20, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jan 20, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know what my options are with OS X on my Pismo using an external HDD. I've got a 30 gig internal, and a 70 gig firewire external. I need to know. . .can I (besides backing up) move my iTunes music to this external drive and expect it to work?

yes, there's an option in the iTunes prefs regarding location of the iTunes music library.

Can I move all of my personal files to this drive and encrypt just that file (my home folder) and run OS X using the home folder from the external drive?

Probably, but this is a BAD idea. If the drive is disconnected when you boot, you're SOL. The procedure for moving your home folder to another partition or volume is shown here: <http://www.bombich.com/mactips/homedir.html>

(note, this is more or less the process by which Apple was reputedly ready to set up portable home directories using iPods in 10.3. It's not seen the light of day yet. I suspect the less than graceful way the system will handle things if the expected folder isn't there is the reason why)

Secondly, if by encrypted you mean FileVault, go ahead, do that.

You're probably someone who likes recreating everything you've done, over and over and over again. Filevault is a seriously bad 'All your eggs in one basket' concept.

Moreover, when you put that on a removable drive, all your eggs are in that basket balanced on your head and you're riding a 10' tall unicycle.

Juggling chainsaws.

Running chainsaws.

Running chainsaws that are on fire.

If you want to encrypt files, Start disk utility or Disk copy depending on whether you're using 10.3 or 10.2) and create a writeable, encrypted disk image.

Store the stuff you want to keep secret there. Open it and close it as needed.

Thanks Bruce,

The main reason I'm talking about this is due to my FULL hard drive. I've got a 30 gig internal, and only 9 gig available. Guess it would be better to upgrade to an 80 internal, huh?