I have a 120 GB external HD. When I bought it, I divided it into 6 equal partitions. I backed up my OS 9 iMac on one partition, and used a second partition as a working backup for files (still OS 9). A third partition backed up Jaguar stuff, but that was quickly replaced with Panther, so a fourth partition is dedicated to the Panther stuff on my iMac. Now I want to backup my PB (way overdue!!)

System Profile says that of my 74 GB capacity, I have 47 GB available. I don't quite understand why it says I have a 74 GB capacity when I bought an 80 GB computer, but that's beside the point. I'm going to subtract 47 from 80, which tells me that I've used 33 GB on this PB. Since my external HD is divided into 20 GB partitions, it appears impossible for me to back up the whole PB, which is what I really want to do.

I thought I was completely backing up my iMac when I did my first backup. After reinitializing the iMac, I found that applications were not necessarily backed up, just documents and such. You guys recommended Carbon Copy Cloner. Well, I have it now and am ready to go.

I almost want to "rent" an external HD to back up mine, then repartition my HD to leave the largest sector for Panther. Hmmm, Tiger is just around the corner...I'll need another partition for that! Am I correct to assume that I can't "reattach" two partitions for this backup?

An incidental second question: FireWire HDs daisy chain, don't they? If so, can you daisy chain an FW400 and an FW800?

Thanks,
Claire