On 25 Jan 2005, at 04:51, G-Books wrote:

From: Marcin Wichary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Applecare, how long should it take?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:43:25 +0100

let me start out by saying that i completely understand your
frustration, I think that apple is changing from the company I knew
and loved a decade ago-- but then again, that's because they're moving
to the mass market.

Weren't they more in the mass market 10 years ago than today?

No, I don't think so. Once Apple lost it's dominant market share under Sculley's tenure, seems to me Apple focused on selling continuously upgraded machines to it's loyal customer base. Apple became so focused on frequent machine upgrades that System software development suffered greatly.
Apple definitely changed from small market focus to mass market focus with the introduction of the first iMac.

Any time a computer company has to put a warning on their website
stating that users should not eat their product, such as the ipod
shuffle, you know that they've started to market their products to a
population that is a little less than technically inclined.

Am I the only one who think it's a joke...?

Yes, that is definitely Apple's sense of humor and meant as a joke. But, still, one should not eat an iPod shuffle.

--> Will they cover a cup of java sloshed into the keyboard? No, that
was your fault for not remembering middle school science, and thinking
that liquid and electronics go hand in hand.

--> Will they cover a laptop that's been dropped out of a moving car?
Well, you can always try, but my guess is that kyle and his ilk will
probably frown and ask again how it happened, just to hear it one more
time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these two cases should be covered by a regular insurance (from your local insurance company), which costs a fraction of price of AppleCare.

Marcin, you are absolutely correct on this one. All my computers are covered under my auto, homeowner's, or rental insurance, as the case may be. And it is much cheaper than Apple Care.

Marcin Wichary

Scott