From what I've heard, ATA-6 (aka ATA/100) or later drives are not compatible with the Wallstreet. You'll need an ATA-5 drive, which limits things a bit -- I'd go for a relatively low-capacity drive (say 40GB) at 5400rpm, preferably with an 8MB buffer. A large buffer is good, because it reduces the amount of mechanical work a drive has to do, so you'll get higher access speeds and a longer battery life, and a 5400rpm drive is good (even though it reduces battery life) because it is noticeably faster than the 4200rpm drives that come standard with most laptops. Due to the age of the machine, you probably won't be using it for video editing, gaming, or anything else that's too space-hungry (unless you have a large music collection), so the 40GB should be ample.

Cheers,
Ben

On 26 Jan 2005, at 13:15, Ken wrote:

I have a Wallstreet II/300 with 196MB RAM. Recently obtained a
retail install set for Jaguar and would like to give it a try.
So far the highest I have gone on any of my machines is OS 9.2.2.

The original disk is only 2gb so it barely meets minimum for
older OS and applications. I have "heard" that IBM/Hitachi
drives should be compatible, but they don't seem to the most
available. I have seem some in the 40-60gb range for $80-120 on
ebay, supposedly new and have thought of getting one. Before
laying out $$, does anyone here have recommendations?

Ken