On 27/01/05 09:27, "Aase Marit Waage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
> Thanks a lot! That is real useful advice!!! The external is a 250 GB
> USB drive. The Pismo still has the original 6 GB HDD. Since I never
> looked into it, I never even had an idea partitioning like that would
> make reformatting, erasing etc. on the rest of the HDD possible...
> That sounds perfect! I think I better do that, and then a complete
> back up of the Pismo, before even thinking of starting doing the
> iBook. Saving 13 years worth of files, is more important. Actually, I
> think I have even more on it, I even kept some files from the PC I
> had before my first Mac. It is so great to be able to go back and
> find files. It feels real odd that I am well on my way to filling up
> this new iBook already, with it`s 60 GB HDD. And I have never before
> had any HDD bigger than the 6 GB... Things sure change...
>
> I hope it won`t take ages doing back-up to the USB harddisk... I
> guess I will soon find out how long it takes. I have an ORB here too
> that I used earlier for back-up, but as it was real slow, I ended out
> only taking back-up of the most important things. So in order to
> really utilize back-ups properly, it has to be easy and not too
> time-consuming, I think...

I forgot your internal drive was only 6GB and your external 250GB. Since you
might upgrade your internal drive for a larger one, I would suggest you
create a larger partition on your external drive so that you won't have to
repartition the external drive in the future. You could maybe set 80GB aside
for that backup partition and the rest to do whatever you want.

Using Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities, it's very easy and intuitive
to partition your drive. One note of caution: if you think you might want at
some point to boot from that external drive in OS 9, make sure you turn on
the option that lets you install OS 9 driver on the partition.

-Laurent.