I recently came into an Apple 15" Studio Display (the LCD model with DVI and two USB ports on the back) and it has an odd problem with one of the USB ports.

When I first plugged it in, I got an error when my computer booted up "A USB port is drawing too much current, it has been turned off." I was pissed, thinking something was wrong with the hub in the display, but it turns out only ONE of the two ports is bad. The monitor works just fine.

Other than looking for the obvious (an obvious short somewhere in the system, bent wires, a munged connector, etc) anyone have more detailed knowledge of the USB circuitry in this beast?

Anyone with some tips about opening it up to look? Fortunately the case is pretty translucent; having 'x-ray' vision is really useful for figuring out how to get into it.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona