*** hard drive options, mk 2 ***

I thank everyone for reading my email about hard drive options
and for the various responses, that is some interesting info.

I was hoping to get some responses about the pros and cons
of hard drive speed and about the pros and cons of RAM cache
size. Getting info about brands, prices, and installation is nice,
yet it is not what I am looking for nor asking about.

The current drive is the stock IBM 18GB that came with the Pismo four
years ago, with a 4200 rpm speed and a 2MB RAM cache size.

I am comparing the drive speed rpms (4200 v. 5400 v. 7200) and the RAM
cache size, which are as small as 1MB or as big as 16MB.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various speeds?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various cache sizes?

I think for an external drive, faster is better, yet how does the size
of the RAM cache figure into the equation?

For an external drive, is a larger RAM cache actually better or overkill and
wasteful?

Is there a realistic cache size where effective usefulness "tops out" and any
more is just waste?

For an internal drive slower uses less power, yet with a large cache
there is less drive access. So, is there a peak performance
combination?

Does a faster drive access less? And therefor is more effective?

How much more effective is a 2MB cache v. 1MB, and a 4MB cache v.
2MB, etc, on up to 16MB v. 8MB? Is all that RAM actually used and
effective?

I am looking for the fastest *and* most efficient combination.

I appreciate any facts, opinions, tho'ts, or experiences you'd like to
share.
Thank you all and have a great day!
Scott

"Many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield
themselves up when taken little by little."  --- Plutarch