On Jan 29, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 29/01/05 19:44, Zoltan Batiz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,

Well, it looks like my roommates iBook has officially died. Unless
anyone here knows what happened to it. Now it won't boot all way. It
will get to just before the login window comes up, then the screen goes
to black, with white text saying, Darwin BSD: loginwindow failed to
execute. Does the Mac now have a "Black Screen of Death" reminiscent
of the old PC days of the "Blue Screen of Death?"

For those who want to help, this is from the original thread titled, "Strange sounds of the iBook. . ."

iBook info:  600 MHZ G3, dual USB 14"  (Son of Pismo)

Thanks for any info,

Zoltan
THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER

Corrupted installation, I guess. Have you tried to boot from the OS X install CD?

-Laurent.

Not yet. . .sometimes the CD-ROM won't work at all. Not sure what is going on, but there are times when the CD-ROM drive doesn't do anything, not even when it booted fine. There's a slight pause when OS X boots, when it looks for all connected drives, internal or otherwise. When this normal pause occurred on the iBook, the drive did nothing. After it booted, when you press eject on the keyboard, nothing. I'll try to boot it up with the CD-ROM, as sometimes the drive works. If it doesn't, I guess there's the Target Disk Mode option with my Pismo. Thanks for your input Laurent.