On 1/29/05 8:52 PM, "- drive - drift - dream -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To get the best battery life, is it better to leave them on and plugged
> in and asleep all the time you're not using them, and keep them plugged
> in as much as possible when you are, or is periodically draining the
> battery better?  And if so, how far should you drain it before
> recharging?
>
> Thanks!
>
> (was never able to even get 3 hours out of her 12" PB with the "5 hour
> battery life", even with the optimized energy saver settings...)

I doubt anyone gets 5 hours out of one battery using OS X but I was able to
come very close to that regularly with OS 9. Iım afraid OS X isnıt as power
efficient as OS 9 was although Panther does seem to be more efficient than
Jaguar and Jag was much better than Maine Coon Cat, or whatever 10.1 was.

We regularly have posts about the best techniques for maximizing battery
life. They involve a full and frank discussion of the issues and so far no
one has died as a result of his/her wounds. <grin> In other words, this is
an area where we tend to have some disagreement. I charge my batteries fully
when I do plug in the computer and when I unplug it, whenever possible, I
discharge it down to the 10 minute warning. My current PowerBook is 15
months old and the original battery still gives me a good 2 hours use. My
newer battery gives me about 40 minutes more. I keep BlueTooth off except
when Iım using it, AirPort on, my drive is set to sleep whenever possible,
the LCD to dim after 60 seconds, and sleep after 5 minutes.

david