on 30/01/05 13:39, Amber at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 1/30/05 10:03 AM, "Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Does Panther have a disk corruption issue?
>> I installed 10.3 and updates (at the time) on a pismo. Worked fine for 2
>> weeks
>> then one day I got the wonderful question mark. I started up from the CD
>> and tried to repair disk permissions, but disk first aid could not find
>> an install to repair.
>> So I reformat and reinstall. Everything fine for a week and the same
>> thing happens.
>> I replaced the hard drive thinking it had gone south, and install 10.2.8
>> and have had no problems since. Out of curiosity I installed the same 12
>> Gig HD from the Pismo (the one I thought was bad) into my Lombard and
>> reformat but install 10.2.8 this time.
>> It's been running without a hitch for 4 months!
>
> Apple of course will refuse to acknowledge that any of their software might
> be causing problems but this is all I can link my problems too. Soon after
> installing the update, things started to grind to a halt.  Before that, I
> had been running the previous OS and had no problems.  The last OS update
> has  caused no end of problems.  Even the start up is agonizingly slow !!
>
> I have spent ages on the phone with AppleCare trying to resolve all the
> problems I've been having - i.e. Programs not quitting fully or requiring
> repeated force quits, crashes, endless spinning balls, extensive delays in
> programs, and then the disk drive not working.
>
> Anyway, I have no choice but to install Panther after I do my HD erase as it
> is on the Install/restore disk that came with the PB.
>
> I am hoping  I can install Jaguar over the top of Panther when the hard
> drive is sorted out by the erase.

Before I got my 17", I've used my Pismo with 10.3 since it was released and
never had any problem. I think your drive is faulty...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or
electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial
knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that
they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video
board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year
2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and
CompUSA.