On Jan 30, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

I have a Powerbook (my only Mac) and I have a 60gb external FW drive.

I would like to use that external drive as a backup boot drive in case my main drive dies on me some day (i.e. so I could hook up the external drive and boot off of that and copy files off the Powerbook onto the external FW drive before shipping it off to Applecare).

Can I do this? How would I tell the Powerbook to boot off of the external drive?

If so, What's the best way to install OS X onto the FW drive? [note: all I am looking for is a very minimal installation so I can just boot it and hook up the Powerbook]

TjL

Simply plug in the drive, format it, and pop in your OS X install CD, select the drive for install, and install OS X. It's a no brainer. Once OS X is installed, you can select the startup disk in System Preferences. If, for example, something is corrupted on your internal drive in your Pismo and you need to boot from the Firewire drive, then after you press power on your Pismo (make sure the external drive is plugged in and powered up), hold down the shift key until you see a blue screen where you will be able to select a drive to boot from. I too use a 75 gig external Firewire drive for backup. Works great. . .hope this helps,

Zoltan

THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER