On Jan 29, 2005, at 1:51 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:57:54 -0800
From: Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pismo sound too loud

At 12:40 PM -0800 1/28/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Good day all!

My Pismo, the very same one I am upgrading, seems to have developed
a sort of tick. In the past week, the volume is excessively loud.
When it starts up the chime is shocking, very loud and distorted. I
have the volume set at one segment of the horizontal meter using the
keyboard volume controls, which reads 6% in System Prefs. Keeping it
at this level setting is plenty loud enough now for me to hear
System Alerts, interface sounds, and iTunes playback. If I adjust
the volume up to even half, it can be heard annoyingly in another
room. I have no idea when exactly this happened or how. I tried the
key-combination resets and the reset button in the back, none have
corrected the loud volume. Has anyone experienced this or heard of
this before? Is this a PRAM battery issue?

What happens if you turn the sound off?  And then on to the minimum setting again? -- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting

Hi Clark,

Thanks for writing back.

No volume level adjustment has any affect on the start-up chime. I used the slider in Sys Prefs pane to (1) lowest before off, (2) all the way down to off, and (3) muted sound, then restarted and each time chime was very loud. Once desktop comes up, the volume seems to be where I last set it, which it still quite loud at the lowerst setting. Previously, I set the volume to three segments using the keyboard volume keys for average comfortable listening for myself. Now, one segment is too loud. I am quite stimied by this. My Pismo is over 4 years old now, and a couple times recently the battery has completely died on me before I could charge it. I think it even died once beyond the point of holding the Pismo in Sleep mode. I think the volume anomaly started soon after that incident. So, I wonder if the internal battery (PRAM) became drained as well, and is now shot.

Scott

Sure sounds like a PRAM battery issue. How long have you allowed the Pismo to charge undisturbed? Let it sit overnight either off or asleep, then see how it does on a restart.

In any case, the Pismo PRAM battery is easy to replace.

Turtle-Bear