At 10:06 PM -0600 2/3/05, Andrew, a Mac Freak wrote:
I mean put a big load on an inverter without protection and you will
overheat it and something will blow.  That's what happened to a VERY
cheap 50 watt inverter I had a long time ago...it didnt even have a
heatsink!! The whole case on my new one is made out of heatsink
material, and its got a fan in it to prevent this...I wasn't talking
about a 130 watt _inverter_ I was speaking about the _load_  :P

A long time ago is a factor. The models made in the last few years are a lot better. High power electronics including power switching has improved steadily over the last 10-20 years. It's not just in terms of power handling but in protection circuitry. It's gotten hard to burn out power supplies with any significant power output, they are well protected against most scenarios. This includes current, temperature, low input voltage, VI switching (there's a proper term for this but I can't recall it).
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA