The National Enquirer reports at 7:10 PM -0500 2/5/05, Laurent
Daudelin wrote:

>on 05/02/05 16:58, Bob at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > The National Enquirer reports at 3:26 PM -0500 2/5/05, Kenneth Vann wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone tell me if new batteries are available from Apple for the
> >> Wallstreet PowerBook?
> >
> > The last time I checked (several months ago) they were still
> > available. But they are v-e-r-y expensive these days. The same
> > battery, from the same vendor, that I bought for $130, now costs
> > almost twice that.
> >
> >> Can anyone recommend a Apple service dealer in Virginia?
> >
> > I can't help you with a local dealer. But if you if you are willing
> > to order from an on-line vendor, I'd recommend http://www.PBparts.com
> >
> >> I have had bad luck with third party batteries. The one I go in new this
> >> week does not charge. Does not charge in a VST charger or the PowerBook.
> >> Vendor does not answer phone calls, so I have contacted my Charge Card
> >> company.
> >
> > Some 3rd-party batteries have bad reputations. I have heard good
> > things about batteries from Newer Tech, if you don't want to pay the
> > price for an genuine Apple battery.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >

> > Bob
>
>Laptops-Battery.com used to have Wallstreet batteries that were just above
>$100.
>
>I just made a search and here is what I found:
>
>http://www.laptops-battery.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/p
>roducts_id/5403

I didn't check  your URL, Laurent, but are these sub-$100 batteries,
actual Apple batteries, or 3rd-party compatibles?

Something for battery buyers to keep in mind is that Lithium-Ion
batteries have life-limits on *both* the total number of
charge/discharge cycles (~200 is a frequent number quoted) *and* on
the their shelf life. You just have a 2-3 year practical life on
batteries and there's not much to do except replace them.
Unfortunately

**rechargeable batteries start their life-span immediately upon manufacture.**

So, if Apple is not buying newly manufactured Wallstreet batteries
(and one wonders whether the market is big enough for a 1998 laptop,
to buy many newly manufactured batteries), whatever you buy
off-the-shelf is going to be a "partial-life" battery. How much life
remains, depends on how long ago it was manufactured.

And FWIW even if you never run your PB on batteries, the Li Ions
won't remain100% usable (i.e. number of hrs of useful charge)
generally for more than 2 or 3 years. (Notice I didn't say they would
die in 2-3 years, I said they would not allow you to run as long on
battery power as they initially did.) There are exceptions, of course.

The same things applies to 3rd-party batteries.

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.