Laurent Daudelin said:

>I would risk to say that you probably haven't the right version of OS 9 to
>boot from on this machine. There has been quite a few different versions of
>the installation CDs for OS 9 along with a few updates. What you need to
>make sure you have is the full install retail CD, not one borrowed from
>another Mac as it might be tailored for that Mac and not for your older
>PowerBook G4...

This is unlikely, but thanks for the suggestion.  All the discs I tried
boots up other machines of the very same model. I don't think I would get
the grey screen if it had been the wrong disc. It would say the disc
won't work with this machine. At least that have been the case before.
Also, why would an original retail OS 9.2.x or 9.1 disc supposed to
install on everything from that time period not work? In the past this
have always worked.
The other discs:  Techtool, Disc Warrior, Norton, all originals, suitable
for the early G4 as well as later doesn't work with the G4 at hand. They
have booted about everything I tried them with since.

So I'm pretty sure the reason lies elsewhere.  I think I may have some
kind of hardware problem, so I'm looking into that.

Suggestions on how to diagnose the OS 9 boot process are welcome.