>> At 1:43 AM -0800 2/10/05, Zoltan Batiz wrote:
>>
>>> Ok folks. . .I've got a 75 gig IBM hard drive that sounds like a
>>> plane taking off during initial boot, and a saw mill during normal
>>> operation.  Which is recommended?  Freezer?  Or Oven?  Does anything
>>> think that one or both of these ideas might fix the drive before the
>>> bearings go bad?  (I can't believe I'm asking this, but hey, Bob's
>>> right. . .you never know what you'll learn on a Mac List!!
>>>

>> If it's working now then get the data while you can and toss it.
>> --
>> Clark Martin
>
> Zoltan,
>
> I happened to hear a talk radio show last week hosted by Kim Komando.
> I'd never heard of this program, but it was the audio being broadcast
> on our FOX weather channel.  She apparently answers all sorts of
> computer questions on her radio show as well as her website.  Every
> question and answer I heard was Windows-related.
>
> Anyway, she said that she had one time recommended to someone with an
> apparently dead hard drive that they remove it from their computer,
> freeze it overnight, pop it back into the computer and save the info
> onto another hard drive.  It was not the topic of conversation, but
> just a mention of advice she had given on another program.  I had NEVER
> heard such advice, but here it was recommended by an expert on national
> talk radio.
>
> So, now you are the second person I've heard mention freezing hard
> drives as a last-ditch effort to retrieve info.  Check out her site at
> www.komando.com --- maybe there's a mention of it there.
>
> Claire

Hi Claire and gang,

I just had to take Claire's suggestion and see what Kim Komando has to say
on her site. My first surprise was learning that she is "America's Digital
Goddess®." I immediately realized I was off-base when I had conjured up an
image of Kim as a Camo-clad Action Figure. Whew, scary!

But to get back on track, here is Kim's advice, verbatum:

"Now, the following may sound like a very strange recommendation. As a
matter of fact, I once told a guy to do this who called my show with a bum
hard drive. Afterwards, he didn't say a word until I told him that I was not
joking. He had nothing to lose so why not at least try it?

"If a hard drive is dead, take it out of the computer, seal it in a plastic
bag and put it in a freezer overnight. Sometimes the cold causes the metal
to shrink enough to allow the drive's head to work. When you reinstall the
hard drive, move your data to a new hard drive quickly. Once it warms up,
any benefit from the cold will be gone.

"Oh, about the caller who I gave that advice to... Well, he sent me a note
through my Web site that he was able to get the data off the drive before it
croaked for good."

I (Kenji) assume she is recommending this for drives that are no longer
working, the head is not articulating correctly...the infamous
clackity-clack clackity-clack clackity-clack adinfinitum...or worse.

If the drive is still functioning despite bad noises, back it up now!

Cheers,
Kenji