Besides all these odd recommendations involving freezers and stoves, I
guess nobody ever tried actually opening up a HDD and replace the
bearings? Is this one of those things that's simply not done? Are

My son opened a dead hard drive once just to see what was inside, and it took quite a bit of muscle and metal-bending to get it open. There's no way he could have salvaged that thing after he opened it. I guess they don't make it easy for a purpose. - - Claire

I've opened plenty of HDS and until you get into removing the spindle motor or head positioner it's usually a pretty straight forward job. You do need the right tools but that usually means hex or torx driver bits. It also helps to know to look under any adhesive label for that last screw. Clark Martin

My son ended up making a necklace out of the magnetic part... and one day someone saw it, had that look of recognition, and said, "Hey, nice!"
- - Claire