Hi Folks

I'm wondering if this happened to anybody else ... sorry for the length ...

I have a Pismo: PowerBook (Firewire) G3/400Mhz/40GB/512MB,
which I recently updated to OSX 10.3.8 with no (obvious) problems.

This morning I was installing and testing some 3rd party utilities,
e.g. Butler (4.0b21), SafariMenu (2.2.4) and Slim Battery Monitor (1.2).
They all exist as applications (either in Applications or Utilities)
but possibly do some further installing of preferences (etc ...?)
which may impact on the Library files (System, Local, User) and
who knows where else. I've heard of "rogue" installers that hose
other permissions when doing their install so maybe that is relevant
to what followed. I believe I only had Slim Battery Monitor running
(more space on the menu bar for other meters etc) as Butler seemed
almost too complex and SafariMenu didn't seem to offer me much utility.

I tried to open the "Preview.app" but a system dialog appeared noting
that "You can not open the application "Preview" because it may be
damaged or incomplete. This also occured for many (not all) other
Apple applications such as "Safari.app", "Mail.app", "System Preferences.app",
"Terminal.app", ... and a host of others (but not "TextEdit.app", "Disk Utility.app" or "Activity Monitor.app" ...). Didn't seem to affect any of
the 3rd party applications such as "Word.app".

Kind of freaked me out somewhat, though I had a backup of the Pismo
it was dated 26 January 2005. Still, usage of Finder was OK for backing up recent files.

Things I tried:
0) Turning off Slim Battery Monitor ...
1) Rebooting ... no effect
2) Repairing Permissions ... no effect
3) Checking if the problem existed for other users ... it did
4) Verifying 10.3.8 System Disk Partition from my 10.2.8 System Disk Partition.
(Disk Utility didn't report any problems)
5) After some paranoid backing up of files (e.g. Mail files) onto another disk,
I rebooted back into the 10.3.8 system disk. Now Terminal and Safari and Preview
all work fine again.

So somehow the repairing permission and/or the system checkup on rebooting
helped fix the problem. So I guess it is unrelated to 10.3.8.

Anybody have any similar experiences, or comments or suggestions? I've heard it is wise to do repair permissions after installing software in case important permissions got hosed.

Regards
Harry.