On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:04:24 -0800, CR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've been watching Pismos
> and saw one with a G4 500MHz upgrade.
>
> Than Andrew posted his ? regarding pricing
> his G3 900MHz upgrade.
>
> I wonder if I can solicit opinions
>   relative to advantages of each?

I chose the G3 900MHz as I read a review that said that although the
G4 had the advantages of the Altivec, the fact that the G3 was 400MHz
faster managed to push it ahead in terms of raw speed, for instance,
iTunes encodes faster with the G3 900MHz than with the G4 500MHz,
despite it not having Altivec.

I am sure there will be *some* cases where the G4/500MHz is a faster
chip, but not many.

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall