I seem to recall someone talking about an Open Firmware update for the Powerbook Superdrive which would allow it to use DVD-RW and also let it burn at 2x speeds.

Does anyone have more information about that?

TjL

There is a "firmware upgrade" meant for at least some TiBooks with superdrives.
I have it installed (Powerbook G4 Titanium 1GHz) and have had no major issues with it, but mind you this is a totally unsupported thing, and you may well ruin your drive if something nasty happens during the upgrade.

This upgrade allowed me to burn DVD-R at 2x (originally 1x), and also to double the burning speed for CD-R (16x vs 8x) and CD-RW (8x vs 4x). Support for DVD-RW, though, is not very consistent. I have burned one or two successfully, failed some others, but in at least one occasion an apparently successful burn produced a disk that wouldn't be recognized and was even hard to eject. In that event Disk Utility could not be used (it kept the spinning beach ball, apparently trying and trying to read this disk). I had to restart holding the mouse button to get that stubborn DVD-RW out of the drive.

Remember, this is *unsupported* and, if something goes wrong, can render your drive unuseable.

Luis Sequeira