I have a huge PowerBooks collection: at least all form factor (1xx, 190, 520/540, 5300, 1400, 3400/3500, WS/lomb/Pizmo, Titan, Alum, iBooks (clamsh., withe).

Well, I would like to bring my experience to this topic.

Wallstreet 15", BlueChip 500 MHz, 512 MB RAM
vs.
iBook G4 14", 933 MHz 384 MB RAM
vs.
PowerBook G4 15", 1,25 MHz, 1000 MB RAM

Well, to tell the truth the Aluminium is faster, but I notice this only with processor and RAM demanding tasks.

In general use it is hard to find any difference: for instance my wife cannot tell any difference and actually she is still complaining for the purchase of the Aluminum (the only reason that she admits is the nice shape and the necessity for my collection...).

Moreover she still find the Wallstreet with OS 9.2.2 the best thing.

Personally I use the iBook G4 90% of the time because it is sturdy and the battery last longer than on the Aluminium. Only when I need to work on huge (>5 MB) Word files or PDFs I switch to the Aluminium.

Then I have a G5 2 x 2 with 2.5 GB RAM: well this monster is really faster than the three 'Book mentioned.

Let's go back to 1995-1996: PowerBook 1400/3400 were a big improvement over the 5300ce, but by today's standard they are pretty the same thing.

I guess that after you have driven a Porsche (never had one...) probably you do not notice any difference between a 1999 1.5 L Jetta or a 2005 Passat V8.

Ben

I too would really like to know about this. I recently acquired a G4 800mhz iBook and immediately upgraded it to a gig of RAM and I swear that it is slower at most tasks than my 400mhz Pismo, also with a gig of RAM. I really expected a big difference in speed and I just haven't seen it. Any ideas??

Nancy