On Feb 16, 2005, at 8:38 AM, - drive - drift - dream - wrote:

On 16-Feb-05, at 2:26 AM, Ben Dyer wrote:

Do you have similar problems connecting with other protocols (e.g. FTP, POP3, SMTP)? To me, the issues you describe seem similar to those caused by high rates of packet loss over your connection; however, the fact that IE works doesn't fit in with that hypothesis.

Oh, yeah, my incoming/outgoing mail servers through my ISP are pretty pissy. I have a hard time finding an FTP client that works and it sometimes gets toasted, too. I use AOL as well and it frequently has trouble getting a complete connection, causing it to not always be able to view websites, but can do IM and email fine, usually. Instant messaging programs are usually fine.

Get another ISP.

Betcha they're using poorly configured web caching or something, or if it's cable, your local segment is hosed.

Don't let 'em tell you it's 'a Mac thing'.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona