On Feb 17, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Roy wrote:

Sorry Zoltan. I don't have info for you.

You prompted me to journal my problem with bluetooth however.

I keep losing connection, especially with my mouse. It is very annoying to have to re-sync so often.

Anybody have the same problems/ideas?

PB Al 1.5ghz, 17"
OS 10.3.8
1.5 gb Ram
Apple Bluetooth keybourd and mouse

Regards,
Roy Quinn

Roy,

Believe it or not, in my experience with Bluetooth or any other wireless connectivity is interference. The key with Bluetooth that I have discovered is the pairing process. You have to make sure there is NO interference during this process. Make sure the microwave isn't being used, turn off your Airport/wireless router, turn off your cell phone AND disconnect power to any cordless phone base during the pairing process. Now, the home phone and Airport/wireless router do not apply IF and only IF you have a 5.8 gigahertz cordless phone and Airport Extreme (802.11g), as both of these devices use a different frequency and won't bother the pairing process.

The reason I said believe it or not is because even with all of these devices running, the bluetooth will still pair. But, the pairing is weak at best. A lot of people think that once a bluetooth device is paired, that's it. . .but unfortunatly, that's not the case. Another problem you are up against is your aluminum casing. I would call Apple about this only to see if they might have specific instructions as to how to properly pair bluetooth devices. I wouldn't be surprised if they said the two have to be no farther apart that a foot, etc.

The best way to understand what I'm describing is to picture each wireless connection as a layer. If you pair a bluetooth device first, then that's your fist layer. Your second layer should be the wireless network, then the cordless phone, then the cell phone, etc. Luckily, with technologies like frequency hopping, this is a better approach. My two bedroom condo is riddled with interference, all of which work on the 2.4 gig range. I've got an Airport Base Station (snow), two 2.4 gig home phones, a microwave (operates also on 2.4 gig range), a cell phone and of course, bluetooth. My PDA, cell phone and keyboard are all bluetooth and have been paired to my Pismo via it's USB bluetooth adapter only once. . .almost a year ago. I've never had to pair any of them again. My good luck with bluetooth could be due to the fact that it's via the Belkin USB bluetooth adapter, since it sticks out of the USB hub, minimizing the interference. But I believe it has a lot to do with my layer theory and paying careful attention to possible interference. An excellent resource for all of this and more are at these websites of which I'm a member and/or have contributed and received helpful info:

http://www.macwireless.com/index.html

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com

https://www.bluetooth.org

http://www.bluetooth.com