The quoted battery life is pretty optimistic. If you dim your screen, set processor speed to reduced, turn AirPort and Bluetooth off, don't use any USB or FireWire devices, don't use an external monitor, and set the hard drive to spin down when possible, you might be able to make the supposed maximum of 4.5 hours. In normal use, however, 3 hours sounds about right.

Cheers,
Ben