On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:11:35PM -0500, bobgir2004 wrote:
> I have a Dual-USB, 500MHz G3 12" iBook, with the yo-yo power adapter.
>
> Wife has a G4 iBook, 14", 1.2GHz with the small, white, square brick power
> adapter.
>
> When we travel, we prefer to take the smaller G3 iBook.

You should be able to find the power rating somewhere on the yoyo
adapter, though my memory is that the yoyo is rated 45 watts.  (FWIW,
my 1.5 GHz 12" PB came with a 45 W white brick).  So the 65 W brick
from the 14" is well within its comfort zone running the smaller
machine.

On the other hand, trying to run the 14" with the old yoyo is
probably a bad idea -- you may be trying to eat power faster that
the yoyo can safely pull it from the mains.  If the yoyo limits its
output for safety, its voltage will sag, which could lead to the
"run it or charge it" dilemna (assuming it runs).  If the yoyo
valiantly goes ahead and tries to supply the full voltage, it can
overheat, leading to any number of bad outcomes...

Romain